Ways You Can Help
The YWCA Knoxville welcomes individuals and groups who can volunteer their time and experience. We work to match the volunteer’s interests and talents with available projects.
On-Call Volunteers [e-mail email@example.com to be added to the directory]
- Keys of Hope Women’s Housing Program Room Painting / Makeover
- Keys of Hope Women’s Housing Program cleaning out closets
- Special Event help for YWCA Race against Racism or Expo or YWCA Tribute to Women
DIY Project Help Volunteers [e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for guidance]
- Make cards for domestic violence victims in Victim Advocacy Program
- Make cards for residents in Keys of Hope Women’s Housing Program
- Organize a drive for donations like clothing, toiletries, winter wear, or school supplies
- Organize a drive for donations of cell phones for victims of domestic violence
Up Keep Team [e-mail email@example.com to join]
- Clean Club W locker room, workout room, or pool area
- Plant flowers and assist with landscaping at YWCA Phyllis Wheatley Center
- Paint maintenance at the YWCA Downtown Center or at YWCA Phyllis Wheatley Center
Program Volunteer [requires interview, references, background check, 6 month commitment; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information]
- YWCA Keys of Hope Women’s Housing Program
- special interest event/class planning, i.e. walking group, book club, cooking class
- Second Harvest Food Bank pick-up (every 2-3 weeks, requires own transportation)
- meal/event support – bringing snacks to an already planned event
- meal/event – planning and hosting a meal and/or event
- prepping and opening the Y Boutique (donation closet for residential women)
- Women’s Advocacy Committee – Ongoing meetings. Membership includes writing letters to the editor, op-eds, and blog posts; visits with legislators and government officials; community awareness and education activities; court watching; and more.)
- YWCA Phyllis Wheatley Center After-School Enrichment Program – leading a workshop or class for a specialized skill, i.e. Hip Hop, poetry, jiu jitsu, etc.
- Senior Services – assisting at YWCA Phyllis Wheatley Center by preparing snacks and participating in games on the 2nd & 4th Wednesday of every month from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- YWCA Domestic Violence Support Group Childcare – providing childcare Tuesday nights from 6p.m. to 7:30p.m.
- YWCA Club W – Specialized Classes with partners (Teaching health, fitness or wellness classes for general public or YWCA clients)
- Administrative Help- Assisting with office support (Making copies, mailing, filing, answer phones, data entry)
Enough! Domestic Violence Volunteer [separate application; requires interview, references, extensive background check, 12 month commitment; e-mail email@example.com for more information]
- Victim Advocacy – assist clients in crisis with safety planning, filing orders of protection, coordinating triage services with partner agencies, accessing referrals for basic needs, and follow-up contact
- Support Groups – Design and facilitate specialized workshops for women who have experienced domestic violence.
- Court Support – Accompany clients and provide emotional support, information, and referrals as they seek the full protection of domestic violence laws.
- Special Events/Awareness Projects – plan and organize special event campaigns including the annual YWCA Week Without Violence in October
- Childcare – Assist clients with children in court and at community support group sites by supervising children and creating and leading play activities.
- Community Education – Prepare for and present at speaking engagements with local community groups to provide basic domestic violence information
Intern/Practicum Placement [e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information]
- Victim Advocacy – help with crisis intervention, support groups, court activity, drafting and updating educational materials, research, and community outreach
- Public Relations – write articles, press releases, and social media posts, and work with local media to promote the YWCA
- Graphic Design – work on promotional items, logo design, and website design
- Health and Fitness – lead workshops, host activities, and develop health initiatives
- Grant Writing – research funding opportunities, write proposals, assist in compiling data
- Womens’ Advocacy – research issues affecting women and girls, assist in compiling data, write blog entries and social media posts
Stay in the loop with YWCA volunteer needs by texting YWVOLUNTEER to 68398 to receive messages.
We are grateful for what this community does for the YWCA Knoxville. The need is always there, and so is the opportunity to volunteer. Contact Tasha Smith, Volunteer Coordinator, at 865.523.6126 or email@example.com today!
Sign Up Today!