Phyllis Wheatley Center Youth Programming
Check out our August Calendar Here.
We cannot empower women if we don’t reach out to girls. YWCA Knoxville Y-Teens is a club that’s nearly a century old, producing a long line of fabulous women, but it responds to the needs of girls today. Y-Teens is designed to create future leaders out of young women, ensuring that girls have opportunities beyond high school and that our society has capable women leaders from all backgrounds.
Girls in grades 6 to 12 are eligible to participate. Clubs led by adult facilitators exist in local middle schools, high schools, and community centers throughout Knox County.
Focus areas include leadership training, service learning, and mentoring, and students get to participate in fun, inspiring activities such as:
- Community service, including peer-to-peer projects
- Mentoring, job shadowing, and intergenerational events
- Workshops on life skills and future planning, including: Stress and time management, Healthy living, Healthy relationships, College planning and the job search, Planning social events, and Planning and participating in the Real Talk summit for girls.
To find a Y-Teens club near you or volunteer your time as a facilitator or mentor, please contact LaKiera Grimes, Y-Teens Coordinator, at (865) 546-0651 or LGrimes@ywcaknox.com. Annual membership dues are only $12 and include:
- Recognition as an official Y-Teen and member of the YWCA Knoxville
- FREE Club W membership
- Admission to all Y-Teen events, including meetings, programs, pool parties, etc.
- Invitations to all volunteer and community service projects hosted by the Y-Teens and the YWCA
- The YWCA Knoxville monthly e-newsletter